Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fair Hunting

I am not a hunter, nor am I anti-hunting. I would like to see the "sport" become a bit more fair, though...

My understanding is that most hunting trips involve putting on the cammo, trekking out to a isolated area with gun, ammo, and (possibly) six-pack in hand, and waiting...maybe climbing up into a blind, and waiting... Eventually, and hopefully from the hunter's point-of-view, a poor, innocent woodland creature of sufficient size to justify the effort and not currently protected by statute (where's their lobby?) strolls by. And now, it get's really unfair. The hunter has to expend sufficient effort to dispatch the beast: that being, to pull a trigger. (The more adventurous types may have to draw and release a bowstring.)

Where's the contest? Only in the mind and ability of the hunter to aim and fire accurately without alerting his/her prey. There is no discrimination as to the innate abilities of the prey to defend itself and escape, nor in the physical abilities of the hunter to pursue and conquer the beast. A pathetically out-of-shape hunter is just about as likely to kill a strapping buck as a strapping young hunter is to kill a three-legged sleeping cow. Darwin was robbed!

For hunting to be truly fair, one must take away the blind, the night-vision goggles and sights, the ammo, the gun, the bows and arrows, the knives. Indeed, one must take away the cammo, all the clothing, bug spray, all protective implements of any kind.

The only truly fair hunting expedition involves walking naked into a forest. Good luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I found this post randomly but I mostly agree. Although I have been working on my traditional archery in hopes of going out hunting this fall/winter, I think even that is a little unfair. I will how ever be going without all the camo an sprays or tree stands.
I am how ever an ultra marathon runner & I hope to one day attempt some persistent hunts. There are still people (you can basically count them on your hand) who hunt this way and it works for them. I doubt id be naked though... Me getting arrested for indecent exposure doesn't seem fair either.
How ever... until i can further my tracking skills I think a primitive long bow, wooden arrows, and what ever skill/effort I can muster will have to do.